Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Camera Glasses

Acts of creation require perception.  They also change our perception.

Photography is one of my creative hobbies. When I take vacations or go on weekend trips, I like to take a 3D camera and capture images that are attractive and artistic.  The pictures from our trips to St. Paul, Minnesota and Washington DC have been posted on this site earlier this year.

When I have a camera in my hands, I see the world differently.  It’s like putting on a pair of glasses that make everything seem sharper and more vibrant. The camera transforms me from a passive observer to an active participant in the beautiful world that surrounds me. I can see how the tree in the foreground frames the tugboat on the river and how the railway bridge in the background provides context.

The transformation is mostly unconscious. The individual books, articles I have read on composition and lighting are forgotten in the moment of creation, but they influence my creative choices. Experience makes the camera feel comfortable in my hands and allows me to capture the moment effortlessly. Photography becomes a flow experience that freezes time and creates an image to preserve and share.

What art form do you practice?  How does it change your perception of the world?

The Stephenson II on the Missouri River at Glasgow
The Stephenson II on the Missouri River at Glasgow

No comments:

Post a Comment