Thursday, January 1, 2015

Refocus for 2015

Crosshairs
I am a strong believer in the value of periodic evaluation accompanied by redirection of time and attention into new areas of interest. For me, the beginning of a new year is an ideal time for reflection and planning.

In my January 2012 post, Do Your Own Annual Review, I posed eight questions which I still believe are extremely useful.  However, they could be simplified into these three:
  • What has changed in the past 12 months?
  • What do I hope to change in the upcoming months?
  • What do I want or need to learn to make these changes happen?
 Personally, the topics where I intend to focus most of my research and reading in 2015 are:
  • Design trends in the stationery and wall decor markets.
  • Applications for additive manufacturing in industry and medicine.
  • The impact of printed electronics on the internet of everything.
  • Implications of artificial intelligence on industry and transportation
  • Lessons to be learned from late 19th century and early 20th century industrial history.
The tricky part about identifying new areas of focus is finding the time to make it happen. Since the amount of time per day in 2015 is the same as in 2014, any new to-do list needs to be accompanied by a not-to-do list.  What are you planning to give up to make room for the new areas of focus?

The year ahead will be full of exciting developments.  Some are expected and some will be delightful surprises. The Consumer Electronics Show next week should be filled with both.

What is your focus for 2015?

You might also like:

Do Your Own Annual Review
Make a Not-to-do List
Top Tech Stories of 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment